Childhood immunisation tips and advice
If you’re one of the mums who thinks immunisation affects you more than your child, these tips may help to make immunisation less painful for you and your child. Think of child immunisation appointment in three stages and make sure you are prepared for all three: before, during, and afterwards.
Before child immunisation
- If you’re worried about your child feeling pain Emla is available to help ease the pain when applied one hour before injection.
- Settle your baby after your journey to the clinic.
- Pull together a bag of their favourite toys so you can play together. This will distract your baby and keep you both relaxed and happy.
- If you are feeling anxious, try not to let it show as your baby will pick up on your mood and react accordingly.
During child immunisation
- Sit your child facing you.
- Continue playing and talking with your child to keep you both relaxed.
- All children react differently to vaccinations and the same child may react differently to different injections so be responsive to their needs.
- If your child seems upset, give plenty of consoling kisses and cuddles.
After child immunisation
- Be vigilant for a day or so.
- It’s normal for a child to be a bit clingy and out of sorts after a jab so be ready to comfort your child with lots of cuddles.
- If you have any concerns following immunisation your local pharmacist is a great source of advice.
- Alternatively speaking to your GP or practice nurse will set your mind at rest.
Essential Information: Emla is a topical anaesthetic cream containing a tried and trusted formula of lidocaine and prilocaine that can help numb needle pain.1 Apply 60 minutes* before the procedure. *This time may need to be adjusted depending on age, body area and procedure. Available from your local pharmacist without prescription, Emla costs £5.10 (RRP) for a two-dose pack and includes two occlusive dressings. Always read the leaflet.
Emla is a registered trademark of the AstraZeneca group of companies
Atlas ID 1746203 Feb 2012